Friday, December 9, 2011

December 9: Whole Wheat Rolls

I was over at my friend Laura's house, looking at one of her favorite cookbooks and came across this recipe. I am glad I wrote it down because it has definitely become a favorite. These rolls turn out great every time. Sorry I do not remember the name of the cookbook.
Image result for picture of wheat rolls


1 pkg dry yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 TB sugar
1 c instant potato flakes
¼ c buttermilk powder
2 tsp salt
2 c warm water
¼ c butter, softened
2 large eggs
3 to 3 ½ c whole wheat flour
1 TB butter, melted
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. (I use my Bosch for mixing and kneading.) Add water, ¼ c butter, and eggs; beat at low speed with an electric mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes.) Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 55 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. (I like to make them into crescent shaped rolls.) Place 12 balls of dough in a lightly greased 9-inch round cake pan. Repeat procedure with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden. Brush rolls with butter. Yield: 2 dozen


No comments:

Post a Comment