Friday, November 11, 2011

November 11: Wendy's Like Chili

Happy Veteran's Day! I will post a recipe that reminds me of my dad, a veteran of the Korean War. He loved beans. Maybe he didn't love them, but he loved that they provided a hearty,economical meal for a family of 9. He was a barber and had Mondays off. Every Monday we would come home from school to a big pot of some kind of bean dinner. It was often chili. He never used a recipe and would just add things to taste. So I am posting one of my favorite chili recipes and it comes from my mother in law, Barbara. It gets this name because it tastes very much like the restaurant Wendy's chili.



2 lb ground beef
1 29 oz can tomato sauce
1 29 oz can kidney beans (with liquid)
1 c diced onions
1/4 c diced green chilies
1/4 c diced celery
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 TB cumin
3 TB chili powder
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 c water

Brown beef. Drain. Add all other ingredients. Simmer over low heat for 2 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment